Thursday, October 14, 2010

Medal of Honor Review (PC): Part 1

  It's been 3 years since the last release from EA concerning their potentially greatest historical FPS, Medal of Honor. For 3 years I have been awaiting the arrival of the next chapter in the series and looking forward to some new, but old, World War throw down with the Germans. To be completely honest I was hoping that EA would learn from their mistakes and use Airborne as a step to reach a more polished game, but alas this is not true.

  Watching me during the summer is like watching a junkie without his fix. I don't know why, but publishers see fit to make people like me squirm during the summer, with no new games and only old multiplayer modes to keep me busy, it's easily the slowest period in PC game production. So when I caught wind of a new multiplayer Medal of Honor closed beta being released I did everything in my power (which includes removing my credit card from my wallet and typing in the numbers) to pre-purchase the new release in order to gain access to the beta. In doing so I was given the mighty access key so that I may partake in their closed beta, what a let down that was. The beta wasn't bad at all for a beta, it was the people playing it that annoyed me, anyway I digress, this is about the finished product, not the beta.

  Work has been pretty slow for me, so when Wednesday rolled around (10-12-2010) I rolled straight out of bed and hopped onto Steam. After a grueling 2 hours of downloading and installing I was granted access. I closed my office door, turned up my new speakers, set the DPI on my mouse and got ready to fight the new exotic Taliban instead of my old familiar German foe. The high mountains of Afghanistan are a welcome change to the farmlands and cities of classic Europe,  high snow covered peaks and drastic changes in elevation set the mood and old wooden shacks and shepherds replaced the cobbled streets of France. Admittedly, this game has a very strong cinematic feel, multiple times during certain action scenes I remember getting that hair raising feeling when being strongly outnumbered or finding yourself in a no win position, but that's where this game starts to reach its limits. Just like a Saturday morning cartoon, I always end up having the upper hand, some how.

 That's it for today, I'm currently writing as I am playing, so stay tuned for more!

18 comments:

  1. i remember spending whole hours playing allied assault

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't ever played any medal of honor. I really need to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just popping in to say you have a nice blog here! if you ever have the time could you check mine out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to yopur next post

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting, I like this... keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I'm gonna pick up this game tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just so much friggin money

    ReplyDelete
  8. just so friggin expensive

    ReplyDelete